The Strathbungo Society invites entries for the Bungo Bake-Off 2017
to be judged on Saturday March 25th 2017
at the Society’s Spring Fling at Langside Hall (The Large Hall),
5 Langside Ave, Shawlands, Glasgow G41 2QR
Event runs from 11.30 – 3.00 – see below for Bake-Off timings
The Bungo Bake-Off is becoming a major part of the Strathbungo Society’s annual Spring Fling event with some fabulous prizes for 2017 winners.
1st prize: A 2 night stay (for up to 4 people) in a refurbished fisherman’s cottage by the sea in Galloway (donated by Rosie Ilett and Gerry Hassan).
Other prizes: Rock ‘n Rollers; Gusto and Relish; Christopher Robin and Bakery 47 have also donated other prizes for 2nd and 3rd placings and runners-up.
Bake-Off instructions & timings:
- Bakers from the Southside of Glasgow are invited to submit a cake or a plate of cakes that they have made from scratch to the theme of ‘Spring’.
- Fee to enter the Bake-Off is £2 per cake or plate of cakes to be paid in cash when submitting entry. This fee also covers entry into the Spring Fling event.
- Bakers can submit any number of entries (each will incur a £2 entry fee).
- All those entering the Bungo Bake-Off are expected to be amateur bakers and not selling/promoting cakes as a business or secondary activity.
- All cakes must be delivered on Saturday March 25th to The Large Hall, Langside Hall between 10.30 a.m. and 11.00 a.m to be signed in by a Spring Fling helper who will give you a receipt and a Spring Fling ticket.
- Any cakes arriving after 11.00 cannot be entered into the judging. No other arrangements can be made for cakes to be entered.
- The judging – led by a professional cake expert – will take place between 11.15 and 12.00. Judges’ decisions are final.
- Winners will be announced at the event, and all entries are then available for viewing. Winners are required to make themselves available for any media interest and coverage that may arise from this event.
- All bakers are invited to collect their cakes from the Hall from 1.00 onwards unless you wish to donate your cakes to be sold at the Spring Fling’s Tea Room in aid of the Strathbungo Society. Please say when you submit your cake for the Bake Off if you will donate or collect your entry.
Please contact Rosie Ilett on email@example.com if you plan to enter Bake-Off or if you have any queries.
This year’s Spring Fling, which hosted the first ever Bungo Bake-Off, was a great community success. Over 200 people made it along over the course of a beautiful morning to a packed Queens Park Baptist Church to enjoy a variety of craft stalls and consume a LOT of tea and cake.
The Bungo Bake-Off competition grabbed the imagination of budding bakers in the area and 13 cakes were entered. There was an array of wonderful cakes on offer and we really were amazed at the effort people made! Thanks so much to everyone who entered, though a special mention goes to the winners:
Sharon Schwepps (1st prize)
Polly Le Grand (2nd prize)
They won prizes kindly donated by Gusto and Relish, Locavore and Rock n Rollers.
With so many cakes in the competition and tonnes of home baking made for the Spring Fling, we were still left with a lot of sweet treats at the end of the event. Not wanting it to go to waste, all leftover cake and biscuits was donated to Oxton House Care Home in Marywood Square and Glasgow City Mission.
We’re already thinking how we can better the Spring Fling for next year and possibly expand upon that baking competition….
There are only a couple of days left to get baking, ahead of the first Bungo Bake-Off at this year’s Spring Fling. All entrants are asked to drop off their Spring-themed cake by 10am on Saturday 19th March, to be judged before the Fling starts at 11am. Any type of cake is allowed, the tastier the better!
The competition is open to all and there’s a host of prizes up for grabs. For adults, this includes getting to be star baker at Gusto and Relish, Locavore vouchers and a free haircut. For the younger bakers, free milkshakes at Gusto and Relish and exciting baking goods are on offer. If you haven’t decided yet whether to enter, there is still time to don your pinny and get baking. See you on Saturday!
We are delighted to announce the full range of prizes for lucky winners of the first ever Bungo Bake-Off to be announced on March 19th at the Spring Fling…..
For adults, the top prize is a voucher for lunch for two at Gusto and Relish, our wonderful local eatery, plus the fabulous opportunity to work with James and his team as guest baker and for your Bake-Off winning cake to be sold in Gusto and Relish – (James has kindly suggested that proceeds go to the Strathbungo Society, so that is a great prize for us too!).
Second prize comes courtesy of Rock and Rollers, our neighbourhood hair and beauty salon, who have given a voucher for a cut and blow dry plus some lovely hair products for the runner-up.
And for the third prize winner, our inspiring local social enterprise Locavore has donated a £10 voucher for their shop, and we also have an additional prize – a box of assorted flavoured coffee beans, mug and coaster.
And for the children’s competition, we are delighted that Gusto and Relish will give the top three prize-winners a complimentary milkshake. They will also receive selected baking-related equipment – such as cup cake cases, whisk, cake book – from the Strathbungo Society.
Thanks to Gusto and Relish, Rock and Rollers, and Locavore for their support of the Spring Fling and the Bungo Bake-Off. The Strathbungo Society is really grateful for your kindness.
Locavore has also kindly offered 10% of baking ingredients bought in the shop that will be used in baking your cake/s for the Bungo Bake-Off. Thanks very much!
So, we hope that has inspired everyone to get baking!
For all the budding Mary Berry’s out there, here are the guidelines for Strathbungo’s first ever Bungo Bake-Off taking place at the Spring Fling on Saturday 19th March.
BAKE-OFF BRIEFING 2016.
Note: these guidelines apply to all those who enter the Bake-Off.
– All those entering their cakes are expected to be amateur bakers.
– Bakers are invited to submit a cake or a plate of cakes for the Bake-Off that they have made themselves from scratch – to the theme of ‘Spring’.
– Bakers can submit only one entry.
– All cakes are to be delivered to the Spring Fling event on Saturday March 19th at Queens Park Baptist Church Hall at the latest by 10.00. Any cakes arriving after 10.00 may be excluded from the judging.
– The judging will take place between 10.00 and 11.00 when the event opens and will be undertaken by officers of the Strathbungo Society.
– Judging will be on the grounds of taste and appearance, and judges’ decisions are final.
– All cakes, once judged and winners having been notified, will then be donated to the Spring Fling Tea Room and sold to benefit the Strathbungo Society.
– All winners will be advised before the event opens, and winners’ names and winning entries will be available at the event for public viewing.
– Winners are asked to make themselves available for any media interest and coverage that may arise from this event.
If you have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Strathbungo Society’s annual Spring Fling is back on Saturday March 19th at the Queens Park Baptist Church, Queens Drive from 11am-2pm.
Alongside lots of craft stalls and workshops for kids, we will be launching the first ever Bungo Bake-Off! Enter your Spring themed cake into the competition and win the chance to be a star baker at Gusto and Relish. For more information email email@example.com and keep checking back here for details.
Although the weather yesterday was rather dreich and dull, it didn’t dampen the upbeat atmosphere of the Spring Fling. All the wonderful art work on display from our budding artists would have brightened anyone’s day! Many thanks to the artists Avril Paton and Karen Cairns for presenting the prizes to the winners of the competition and for all their support of this event. Thanks also to all our stallholders who came along and added so much interest to the event.
This year we had a petting zoo, which was a big hit with children and adults alike – some of them even got close to the insects and snakes! Special thanks to all of you who helped to set up and run the event – we couldn’t have done it without you and all your efforts are much appreciated! Watch out for more on this in the next Newsletter.
The Strathbungo Society’s SPRING FLING 2015 at
Queen’s Park Baptist Church Hall
180, Queen’s Drive, G42 8QD
(Next to Rainbow Nursery)
SATURDAY 28TH MARCH 10.30am – 1.30pm
Entry: £1 (includes tea/coffee/cake), children FREE
**Can you DONATE any of the following:**
- Anything chocolate related for the chocolate tombola?
If so, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Home baking, cakes, biscuits for teas/coffees?
If so, please contact: email@example.com
- Time? We need helpers for the teas/coffees, door entry, Society stall. If you can spare even half an hour for your community , that would be great!
Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also bring any donations for the chocolate tombola, teas/coffees to Queen’s Park Baptist Church Hall on Tuesday 24th March 2015 between 7 and 9pm. If you want to let us know about any time you can donate – please pop along and see us!
Many thanks and look forward to seeing you all at the Spring Fling!
Calling all children & young people 0 – 16 years:
Get out your pencils, pens, pastels, paints, crayons and any other media to enter our fantastic annual FREE art competition!
The competition is open to all in the following age groups: Under 5, 5 – 8 years, 9 – 12 years, 13 – 16 years
The artwork can be in any media and paper size on the theme “Strathbungo: Now Or In The Future”
Great prizes include:
- First prize winners : an art lesson/workshop
- Art and craft materials and book tokens
- Winning entries displayed in local cafes and restaurants – Tapa, Gusto & Relish, Little Botanica & Mulberry Street
All prizes will be presented at the Spring Fling on Saturday 28th March 2015, Queen’s Park Baptist Church Hall, 180, Queen’s Drive.
All entries will be displayed at the Spring Fling and you’ll have the chance to vote for your favourite entry. The entry with the most votes will be used as the poster for Bungo In The Back Lanes in June! Plus, every entry will be in the draw for a special art materials prize!
Check out the documents below for entry forms ,competition details and guidelines: