A MAGICAL WALKING TRAIL TRANSFORMING STRATHBUNGO INTO A PLAYFUL OUTDOOR GALLERY!
ALL ARE WELCOME!
Please join us this Saturday 25th February, from 6-9pm.
Everyone is invited to wander around Strathbungo and enjoy residents’ window displays.
We hear rumours of bands in front rooms, a pop-up tattoo parlour, a human fruit machine, disco balls and bubble machines…. But the magic of Window Wanderland is that no one will actually know what’s happening until the night itself.
If you live in the area and are still to register, add your home to the online map. A ‘display’ could be as simple as a candle, book, fairy lights or image in a window. Or you could go all out and stage a performance in your front room or project onto your building! Simple or spectacular … it’s completely up to you. Anything goes! And if you need some inspiration or practical help, there’s a free drop-in workshop at the Tramway this Tuesday 21st February.
If you have any questions or would like to help spread the word about the event, please feel free to email us.
The Strathbungo Society invites entries for the Bungo Bake-Off 2017
to be judged on Saturday March 25th 2017
at the Society’s Spring Fling at Langside Hall (The Large Hall),
5 Langside Ave, Shawlands, Glasgow G41 2QR
Event runs from 11.30 – 3.00 – see below for Bake-Off timings
The Bungo Bake-Off is becoming a major part of the Strathbungo Society’s annual Spring Fling event with some fabulous prizes for 2017 winners.
1st prize: A 2 night stay (for up to 4 people) in a refurbished fisherman’s cottage by the sea in Galloway (donated by Rosie Ilett and Gerry Hassan).
Other prizes: Rock ‘n Rollers; Gusto and Relish; Christopher Robin and Bakery 47 have also donated other prizes for 2nd and 3rd placings and runners-up.
Bake-Off instructions & timings:
- Bakers from the Southside of Glasgow are invited to submit a cake or a plate of cakes that they have made from scratch to the theme of ‘Spring’.
- Fee to enter the Bake-Off is £2 per cake or plate of cakes to be paid in cash when submitting entry. This fee also covers entry into the Spring Fling event.
- Bakers can submit any number of entries (each will incur a £2 entry fee).
- All those entering the Bungo Bake-Off are expected to be amateur bakers and not selling/promoting cakes as a business or secondary activity.
- All cakes must be delivered on Saturday March 25th to The Large Hall, Langside Hall between 10.30 a.m. and 11.00 a.m to be signed in by a Spring Fling helper who will give you a receipt and a Spring Fling ticket.
- Any cakes arriving after 11.00 cannot be entered into the judging. No other arrangements can be made for cakes to be entered.
- The judging – led by a professional cake expert – will take place between 11.15 and 12.00. Judges’ decisions are final.
- Winners will be announced at the event, and all entries are then available for viewing. Winners are required to make themselves available for any media interest and coverage that may arise from this event.
- All bakers are invited to collect their cakes from the Hall from 1.00 onwards unless you wish to donate your cakes to be sold at the Spring Fling’s Tea Room in aid of the Strathbungo Society. Please say when you submit your cake for the Bake Off if you will donate or collect your entry.
Please contact Rosie Ilett on email@example.com if you plan to enter Bake-Off or if you have any queries.
Gather outside 52 Marywood Square from 11:45pm.
If anyone is bringing children along, get them banging pan lids with wooden spoons as loudly as possible from either end of Strathbungo as you approach.
See you there!
Weans in the Lanes is on this Sunday between 10am-12pm – look out for bunting to tell you which lanes are taking part.
This year’s Spring Fling, which hosted the first ever Bungo Bake-Off, was a great community success. Over 200 people made it along over the course of a beautiful morning to a packed Queens Park Baptist Church to enjoy a variety of craft stalls and consume a LOT of tea and cake.
The Bungo Bake-Off competition grabbed the imagination of budding bakers in the area and 13 cakes were entered. There was an array of wonderful cakes on offer and we really were amazed at the effort people made! Thanks so much to everyone who entered, though a special mention goes to the winners:
Sharon Schwepps (1st prize)
Polly Le Grand (2nd prize)
They won prizes kindly donated by Gusto and Relish, Locavore and Rock n Rollers.
With so many cakes in the competition and tonnes of home baking made for the Spring Fling, we were still left with a lot of sweet treats at the end of the event. Not wanting it to go to waste, all leftover cake and biscuits was donated to Oxton House Care Home in Marywood Square and Glasgow City Mission.
We’re already thinking how we can better the Spring Fling for next year and possibly expand upon that baking competition….
Strathbungo Community Clear Up (Brighter Bungo)
Sunday 13th March 2016
Meet at the corner of Nithsdale Road & Moray Place (Sammy Dow’s/Lebowskis)
Time: between 11 am & 1 pm
If you have a wheelbarrow please bring it along.
We are delighted to announce the full range of prizes for lucky winners of the first ever Bungo Bake-Off to be announced on March 19th at the Spring Fling…..
For adults, the top prize is a voucher for lunch for two at Gusto and Relish, our wonderful local eatery, plus the fabulous opportunity to work with James and his team as guest baker and for your Bake-Off winning cake to be sold in Gusto and Relish – (James has kindly suggested that proceeds go to the Strathbungo Society, so that is a great prize for us too!).
Second prize comes courtesy of Rock and Rollers, our neighbourhood hair and beauty salon, who have given a voucher for a cut and blow dry plus some lovely hair products for the runner-up.
And for the third prize winner, our inspiring local social enterprise Locavore has donated a £10 voucher for their shop, and we also have an additional prize – a box of assorted flavoured coffee beans, mug and coaster.
And for the children’s competition, we are delighted that Gusto and Relish will give the top three prize-winners a complimentary milkshake. They will also receive selected baking-related equipment – such as cup cake cases, whisk, cake book – from the Strathbungo Society.
Thanks to Gusto and Relish, Rock and Rollers, and Locavore for their support of the Spring Fling and the Bungo Bake-Off. The Strathbungo Society is really grateful for your kindness.
Locavore has also kindly offered 10% of baking ingredients bought in the shop that will be used in baking your cake/s for the Bungo Bake-Off. Thanks very much!
So, we hope that has inspired everyone to get baking!
Following last month’s no show due to high winds, Weans in the Lanes is back with a vengeance this Sunday 6th March from 10am-12pm. As before, look out for bunting at the end of lanes to know which ones are taking part. Feel free to bring any toys, scooters, sticks, crayons etc along and enjoy the morning!
For all the budding Mary Berry’s out there, here are the guidelines for Strathbungo’s first ever Bungo Bake-Off taking place at the Spring Fling on Saturday 19th March.
BAKE-OFF BRIEFING 2016.
Note: these guidelines apply to all those who enter the Bake-Off.
– All those entering their cakes are expected to be amateur bakers.
– Bakers are invited to submit a cake or a plate of cakes for the Bake-Off that they have made themselves from scratch – to the theme of ‘Spring’.
– Bakers can submit only one entry.
– All cakes are to be delivered to the Spring Fling event on Saturday March 19th at Queens Park Baptist Church Hall at the latest by 10.00. Any cakes arriving after 10.00 may be excluded from the judging.
– The judging will take place between 10.00 and 11.00 when the event opens and will be undertaken by officers of the Strathbungo Society.
– Judging will be on the grounds of taste and appearance, and judges’ decisions are final.
– All cakes, once judged and winners having been notified, will then be donated to the Spring Fling Tea Room and sold to benefit the Strathbungo Society.
– All winners will be advised before the event opens, and winners’ names and winning entries will be available at the event for public viewing.
– Winners are asked to make themselves available for any media interest and coverage that may arise from this event.
If you have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org